Motivational Interviewing Certificate
Date: April 10 - May 20, 2023
Dates and format
April 10 to May 20, 2023
Work through weekly modules on your own time. Meet your trainer and other group members on six Saturdays (via Zoom) from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. EST for a group discussion and to practice skills.
Dates for group calls
Saturday April 15, 22, 29, May 6, 13, 20th from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. EST. All coaching calls will be recorded and uploaded into the course shell so participants can revisit the coaching sessions, ask questions, and engage in a virtual discussion with their peers.
*Although recommended, it is not mandatory to attend the LIVE coaching calls. They will be recorded and available to view at your convenience.
What will I learn?
Motivational interviewing is a clinical conversation skill for practitioners to help draw out and strengthen a client’s own motivation and commitment to change. This effective tool is particularly useful for those who have the opportunity to engage with patients or clients who are facing complex situations, ambivalence, or multiple concerns.
The course is a combination of presentations, coaching calls, role play, brain storming, videos, practice sessions and self-reflection activities designed to help participants get comfortable in applying the principles and spirit of motivational interviewing.
- Empower clients to change their negative behaviours that keep them from meeting their physical and mental health goals.
- Learn the clinical skill that psychologists, social workers and therapists use to motivate their patients to share important and authentic information and be fully engaged in the client-clinician relationship.
- Redesign your interaction style with patients with this evidence-based treatment method that has been evaluated in more than a thousand controlled clinical trials.
Motivational interviewing is not:
- A way to trick people into doing what they don’t want to do
- Based on the stages of change model
- A form of cognitive behavioural therapy
- Just client centered; it is very intentional
Testimonials from past participants
“I have learned many useful information and techniques. Two main techniques I am using often is that I have changed by expectations on how many changes is realistic for the patient/client to change at once. As well I try to engage the patient more about what they would like to change and what would work for them. I feel less pressure which makes the consultations more enjoyable.”
“This course has certainly helped to increase my awareness of ways that I can improve my counselling skills. I now make more of an effort to listen more actively and summarize more so that my clients feel heard. I also find myself picking up on change talk more easily and asking more open-ended questions to help my clients work through some of their ambivalence.”
“I have immediately been able to apply MI aspects in my practice, and have noticed the difference in the responses of my patients. The unobtrusive, gentle but solid knowledge of the course instructor guided me along my learning path, and it allowed me to easily use these in my everyday. It has allowed me to be confident in my abilities as a clinician, and reduced my frustration, too. I think this could help numerous physicians to reduce Physician Burnout, a huge issue always, but especially during this COVID pandemic.”