Do “food deserts” explain the nutrition gap? Maybe not, say researchers
Posted on: June 21, 2019
People with higher incomes eat healthier diets than people with low incomes. Why? Some people blame “food deserts” without grocery stores and, therefore, little access to fresh fruits and vegetables and other healthy foods. However, in a recent paper published in the Quarterly Journal of Economics suggests that only about 10% of the gap is due to a low supply of healthy food while the other 90% is due to consumer demand.